Designing most rooms in the house can feel like a daunting task but none more so than a children’s room. Though it is a room to really allow you to let your creativity flow, I thought I would share some little hints and tips on how to make them the most fun room in the home.
1. Keep it simple – keep the décor simple and the furnishings minimal to allow space for play and provide a neutral canvas that can be easily updated as the child grows.
2. Focus on play – to create a space your child will want to spend time in, focus on the thing they love the most: play! Indoor swings, ball pools, a house shaped bed frame, bunk/cabin bed slides, rock climbing walls, indoor cargo nets are all details that can make the space appealing and fun. Simple details like a art gallery wall with magnetic frames to allow frequent changes or a blackboard chalk wall can add similar fun elements without much effort.
3. Make the most of the space – most childrens rooms are the smaller ones in the house which means being creative with furniture to make the most of the space, loft and cabin beds are a simple and easy way to achieve this. Utilising floor space for an additional play zone or storage space.
4. Colour - Kids love colour but choosing the right one can be tricky. Sure, your little one may adore all things hot pink now, but that doesn’t mean they will later, and the thought of repainting the entire room in just a few short years is enough to give anyone colour commitment issues. Painting shelves, hanging prints, using rugs, curtains and soft furnishing mean when they grow out of their Minecraft obsession the bright green is easy to get rid of.
5. A place to escape – Lastly give them a place to get away from it all, a place for a little down time. A reading nook for example is an excellent place for some quality alone time and has the added benefit of encouraging your little one to curl up with a good book!