Italian Style Serving Platter
On a large serving board arrange 6 Parma ham slices, 12 slices Napoli or Milano Salami, Green and Black Olives, 3 quartered vine ripened tomatoes, 1 torn Mozzarella cheese or 200g baby Mozzarella balls, a few Basil leaves, 6 slices of ripe melon and either bread sticks or sliced olive bread. Garnish with rocket leaves and serve with Balsamic vinegar and the Italian dip.
Italian Style Dip
6 tbsp mascarpone cheese or any soft cream cheese
2 tsp capers
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
2 large roasted red peppers, either fresh or from a jar
- If using fresh peppers, cut in half, remove core and seeds and discard and arrange the pepper halves on a baking tray. Roast at 190ºC Fan/Gas 5 until softened or grill until the skins blacken.
- Place the cooked peppers into a polythene bag and leave to cool. Remove the skins.
- Blitz together all the dip ingredients in a small food processor and place into a small serving bowl.
500g strong white flour
5g sea salt
10g fresh yeast
300mls tepid water
30mls olive oil
50g chopped olives
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the salt and stir. Crumble in the yeast, add the water and oil and mix into a soft dough.
- Turn onto a work surface and knead well for 4-5 minutes. Return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise. The rising time will depend on the temperature of the room between 45 minutes - 2 hours.
- Turn out the risen dough and add the chopped olives. Shape. Place onto a greased baking sheet. Allow to rise again for 30-40 minutes.
- Bake at 200ºC F/Gas 6 for 25-35 minutes.
Greek Style Serving Platter
Arrange slices of olive oil bread onto a large bread board with 200g marinated feta cheese cubed, 4 quartered tomatoes, green and black olives. Place small bowls of the Baba Ghanoush (aubergine dip)and chickpea dip on the board.
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
200g feta diced, cut into small dice
300mls olive oil
1 tsp freshly chopped chilli
- Place the lemon rind, garlic, thyme and feta in a medium sterilised glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Seal the jar and gently shake to coat the cheese in the mixture.
- Open the jar and pour in the olive oil. Reseal and leave overnight before using.
- Cook's Tip – Can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in the fridge. For a spicy kick add 1 chopped red chilli to the marinade.
- Flavoured feta can also be found in supermarkets.
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp Tahini
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 200ºC Fan/Gas 6.
- Brush the aubergine with oil and bake in a hot oven until the aubergine is soft. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Peel the aubergine, remove the flesh and blend with the remaining ingredients until smooth.
400g can chick peas, drained
1 garlic clove, peeled
45mls olive oil
1 lemon, juice and half the zest
1/2 tsp paprika
- Put the chick peas, garlic, tahini and olive oil into a small food processor and blend.
- Add the lemon juice, check seasoning adding more lemon or a little water if necessary.
- Scrape out of the processor and sprinkle with paprika.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pitta, olive oil or flat breads.
Cook's Tip – There are a number of additions that could be added to this basic recipe. Any one of the following ingredients could be added for variety - 2 tsp sesame seeds, a sprinkle of cumin seed, a few crushed pine nuts, 1 blitzted roasted red pepper, stir in a little caramelised red onion or a handful chopped coriander.
Scandinavian Inspired Platter
A simple platter including:
6 slices smoked salmon, 18 tiger prawns, 1 lemon, 6 quail eggs, a cooked beetroot, ryebread or flatbread crackers, pickled red onion, samphire or gerkins and a wcream cheese, dill and caper dip.
To assemble – place all the ingredients onto a large plate or board and garnish with lemon wedges and fronds of dill.
Cream Cheese, Dill & Caper Dip
200g soft cream cheese
1 tbsp chopped capers
2 tsp chopped fresh dill
2 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
- Mix together all the ingredients, transfer into a small serving dish and refrigerate until required.
Refreshing Fruit Platter
Gorgeous and simple a fruit platter will always be a winner no matter the event or age! Why not add some mini meringues and a chocolate sauce for a little extra sweetness.
150g dark chocolate squares
50g milk chocolates squares
100mls double cream
1 tbsp golden syrup
- Place the ingredients into a pan and gently heat until combined.
Cookery demonstrations with Teresa Bovey
For a full list of dates and events where Teresa will be featured in cookery demons-trations, or to book onto a demonstration day, visit: www.teresabovey.co.uk